2016 was an average year music wise with not many great songs to choose from. A.R.Rahman was at his standard 2 albums a year, Anirudh was much out of sorts and D.Imman was churning out albums like an assembly line(think he had 11-12 releases this year). Harris Jayaraj is still searching for his missing omakaziya and Santhosh Narayanan is moving further away from his brand of music with his recent releases(read Bairavaa). There were some bright sparks though coming in from young upcoming composers like Nivas K. Prasanna, Leon James, Sean Roldan and K. So here goes my best 10 of 2016, songs that I loved and listened to on repeat this whole year.
One day and 3 very good film trailers.
Firstly, Vishal Bhardwaj’s Haider. In it’s own very dark way looks like a VB classic already(only VB can get the best out of Shahid Kapoor, remember Kaminey). Cannot wait for it!
Second, Homi Adajania’s Finding Fanny. Love it for the fact that it is being made in English and the casting seems to be perfect. Only time would tell, but if it lives up to what the trailer shows it to be, we are in for a rollicking ride.
Third, Ridley Scott’s Exodus: God’s & Kings. RS is bringing us another period war film after Gladiator. The visuals look stunning and epic. Watch for yourselves;
Looks like we are in for a treat in the coming days.
*There may be spoilers in this post, so read it at your own peril if you still haven’t watched the film*
Some movies are so melodramatic that they make you cry, some movies just entertain, some makes you introspect and then there’s QUEEN. No unwanted melodrama, no unwanted item songs, just crisp and fresh storytelling. QUEEN is one of those rare gems in Indian cinema that is totally heroine centric. When all directors and actors are running behind record openings & boasting about their business in C’s, Queen is a fresh whiff of change. Hats off to Vikas Bahl for that and all the makers that backed him for this project. Continue reading
2013 saw a new music scene in kollywood. Last years debutantes made a mark for themselves in 2013. The liked of Santhosh Narayanan & M Ghibran went from strength to strength this year while the liked of D. Imman proved that he belongs to the elite class. Overall music buffs had a great year as far as music was concerned. I have not considered recently released Thirumanam Ennum Nikaah, Jilla & Veeram. They will be considered for next year.
Top 10 Playlist:
1. Enga Pona Raasa- Maryan
2. Anandha Yaazhai- Thanga Meengal
3. Koodamela Koodavechu- Rummy
4. Paakadha Paakadha- Varutha Padadha Valibar Sangam
5. Osaka Osaka (Theni Kaathoda)- Vanakkam Chennai
6. Yeley Marudhu/Othakadai- Pandiyanaadu
7. Kaasu Panam Dhuddu Money- Soodhu Kavvum
8. Boomiyil- Pizza 2: The Villa
9. Kanna Kanna/Ari Unnai- Vathikuchi
Unakaaga Piranthene- Pannayarum Padminiyum
10. Mannavane en Mannavane- Irandam Ulagam
Songs that just missed the list:
En Veetula- Idharkudhaane Aasaipattai Balakumara
Inika Inika- Naiyaandi
Aavatha Paiyaa- Paradesi
Yaaro Ivan- Udhayam NH4
Aruvakaara- Kutty Puli
Album of the year: Maryan by AR Rahman
Top 3 Albums of 2013:
1. Maryan- A.R Rahman
2. Vanakkam Chennai- Anirudh
3. Thanga Meengal- Yuvan Shankar Raja
Music Director of the year: D. Imman (VVS, Desingu Raja, Rummy, Pandiyanaadu)
Best Debut album of the year: Pannayarum Padminiyum by Justin Prabakaran
2012 has been a great year for music buffs. Album after album, hit after hit, this year has been wonderful when it comes to music. D Imman was a revelation this year with 3 fantabulous albums including the melodiously mesmerizing Kumki which earns him the MD of the year.
Here is the list of the songs that were played on loop innumerable times, stole our hearts during the course of the year;
1. Adiye – Kadal (A R Rahman)
2. Solitaale – Kumki (D Imman)
3. Aahaa Kaadhal – 3 per 3 Kaadhal (Yuvan Shankar Raja)
4. Oru paadhi Kadhavu – Thaandavam (GV Prakash Kumar)
5. Aasai Or Pulveli – Attakathi (Santhosh Narayanan)
6. Mogathirai – Pizza (Santhosh Narayanan)
7. Vaaya Mudi – Mugamoodi (K)
8. En Uyire – Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathiley (Achu)
9. Iravugalil – Ponmaazhai Pozhudhu (Sathya C)
10. Po Po Po – Manam Kothi Paravai (D Imman)
Unnai Kaanadhu Naan – Viswaroopam (Shankar Ehsaan Loy)
Music Director of the Year: D Imman
Album of the Year: Kadal (A R Rahman)
Best Debut Album: Maalai Pozhudhin Myakathiley (Achu)
Best New Music Director: Santhosh Narayanan ( Pizza & Attakathi)
Songs that just missed the cut…
- Poda Podi (Poda Podi)
- Venam Machan Venam (OK OK)
- Google Google (Thuppaki)
- Don Don (Billa 2)
- Azhaipaaya (Kaadhalil Sodhapuvadhu Eppadi)
- Ennodu Vaa Vaa (Neethane En Ponvasantham)
- Thappelam (Naan)
Just cannot seem to get this outta my head!